01 Using Simple Scripts to send FSX Events

How can be this controlled in that simulator? Can HIDmacros be used with this application?
Baobob

01 Using Simple Scripts to send FSX Events

Post by Baobob » 29 Nov 2011, 22:55

We all know that we can easily assign an FSX event to a key by selecting "Send Simconnect Event (FSX)" and picking the event we want from the dropdown box. But many of us (myself included) were a bit confused and intimidated at the thought of trying to figure out how to "Script" an event to take place. So today I want to talk a bit about the most basic "scripting" for HID macros... The "one liners" if you will...

Take the following example:

I have a hotkey linked to the TOGGLE_ALTERNATOR1 event. it looks like this...
Tutorial 1.1.jpg
Tutorial 1.1.jpg (115.99 KiB) Viewed 9236 times

But now what if I want to do the same thing using a script instead? Easy... It's a one liner... literally.. the one line is

Code: Select all

HIDMacros.FSXEvent "TOGGLE_ALTERNATOR1", 0
Which Looks like...
Tutorial 1.2.jpg
Tutorial 1.2.jpg (100.79 KiB) Viewed 9236 times

Not for the real question... Why in the world would I want to do that in the first place?
Simple... I fly multi-engine planes...

HIDMacros.FSXEvent "TOGGLE_ALTERNATOR1", 0
HIDMacros.FSXEvent "TOGGLE_ALTERNATOR2", 0
HIDMacros.FSXEvent "TOGGLE_ALTERNATOR3", 0
HIDMacros.FSXEvent "TOGGLE_ALTERNATOR4", 0

Which makes it look like this...
Tutorial 1.3.jpg
Tutorial 1.3.jpg (115.31 KiB) Viewed 9236 times

Of course that is by no means the only reason for using the script rather than the "Send Simconnect Event (FSX)" dropdown box. In the same way you can send multiple events for whatever reason you like... For example the plane that I like to fly the most has it's left and right landing lights set to different switches... which for cockpit builders is a dream... but while I was still using keyboards to control the lights rather than switches, I needed the following code in order to turn them both on and off with a single keypress so I didn't overload what was already two full keyboards (not counting my regular windows keyboard).

HIDMacros.FSXEvent "TOGGLE_LOGO_LIGHTS", 0
HIDMacros.FSXEvent "LANDING_LIGHTS_TOGGLE", 0

At any rate I hope this gets you started with some simple "one liner" scripting..
Fly Well,
Bao

"Getting it up there is all well and good. Lets just get it back down in one piece shall we?"

riccardo74

Re: 01 Using Simple Scripts to send FSX Events

Post by riccardo74 » 23 Nov 2012, 22:36

Very interesting baobob, I want to do the same with NGX, but assigning CTRL+L to landing lights doesn't work.

Do you think with a specific scripts can work? Any example?

In you opinion can you interface hidmacros with LINDA or can retrive LINDA scripts that works in Hidmacros?

Many thanks,
Riccardo

harry8227

Re: 01 Using Simple Scripts to send FSX Events

Post by harry8227 » 22 Nov 2014, 01:02

Bob, thanks for the info, forgive me but I am beyond new to this. How do I get the macro into fsx to make it do its thing?