MIDI output support

What features you would like to have in HIDmacros?
mwvdlee

MIDI output support

Post by mwvdlee » 17 Nov 2014, 16:52

I'd like to request the ability to output control signals on a MIDI channel; simulate a MIDI device.

This should already be possible using scripting and external tools such as MIDI-OX, but would require a lot of manual scripting and combining two separate applications.

The ability to use secondary keyboards as MIDI controllers is regularly requested in audio forums.

admin
Site Admin

Re: MIDI output support

Post by admin » 18 Nov 2014, 08:59

To be honest I see this as out of scope.
The application is mainly for games (flight simulation) and I have no motivation to learn something about MIDI output.
I'm sorry.
Petr Medek
LUAmacros author

ToFran

Post by ToFran » 13 Jan 2015, 19:01

The only way I see this being useful is to output status from FSX,
for example outputting LED's from the aircraft panel to MIDI LED's

BUT, I think that there's no need to add this feature to Hidmacros.
Hi, I'm ToFran I do stuff! Find more about me tofran.com

RashaMatt

Post by RashaMatt » 04 Aug 2017, 20:54

I would find MIDI output support very useful, in order to use a second keyboard for easy control of Ableton Live (or other music programs).

There is a way to control Ableton functions by sending it MIDI messages, but translating keystrokes to MIDI messages is problematic. It can be done with Bome's MIDI Translator Pro (a paid app), but that software 1) cannot consume keystrokes, 2) cannot distinguish an auxiliary keyboard, 3) cannot tell who has the input focus, and 4) cannot work with keycodes... So you can only use key combinations that do not conflict with shortcut keys used by Ableton, the system, or any other apps you might need to use.