{BREAK} is returning as SCROLL

Report application bugs here
Ebagen02

{BREAK} is returning as SCROLL

Post by Ebagen02 » 29 Jan 2014, 18:15

Hello there. I have made every attempt to go through the forums and documentation but I have not found a similar problem listed.

I am using a small presentation ring that is registered as a HID Keyboard. Currently it's buttons are: F5, b, Page Up, and Page Down.

I wished to use this ring as a PTT button for Ventrilo. I have more than one PTT buttons all for different programs. Due to reasons I care not to explain I need Ventrilo's PTT button to be Pause/Break.

This was the script I put in for the macro:

Code: Select all

HIDMacros.SendKeys "{Break 1}"
I thought this was all I needed to do. However upon testing it I am finding the original button (b) and scroll lock are both being pressed. I'm sure I've missed something causing the original button to still be pressed, however I don't see how Scroll lock is being pressed in place of Pause/Break.

Additionally, as I am writing this I realized I haven't looked thoroughly into how well holding down buttons works w/ HIDMacros and my ideal PTT use. Any advice on the topic would be appreciated.

EDIT: I found out that although Ventrilo sees the original keypress other programs such as Notepad and Chrome do not.

admin
Site Admin

Re: {BREAK} is returning as SCROLL

Post by admin » 30 Jan 2014, 08:30

I don't know Ventrilo but I can only repeat there are more ways how to read keyboard status. HIDmacros can block original keys only for applications using the most common windows API (like Notepad and Chrome). If Ventrilo is using some different (direct, low level) way you will see original key in the application.
The same with macro being send - the keystroke is sent to standard windows keyboard queue. If application is using different way, it may not work.
To summarize: if there's some wrong behaviour that can be reproduced in standard application (like notepad) I can check. Otherwise, not much I can do.
Petr Medek
LUAmacros author

Ebagen02

Re: {BREAK} is returning as SCROLL

Post by Ebagen02 » 31 Jan 2014, 04:37

Yeah I am pretty sure based on the fact Ventrilo sees the original keypress, and programs like notepad and chrome see only the HIDMacro replacement, that Ventrilo grabs keypresses at a lower level. It is a phenomenal program though. I will definitely be using it for other purposes even though the one I sought it out for was unsuccessful.