Using Zadig driver for keyboard

Announcements, general discussion
DrJester

Using Zadig driver for keyboard

Post by DrJester » 06 Oct 2020, 23:29

I've tried using luamacros, and it is great, but, sadly, it doesn't work on games like DCS, Il-2 and even Streamlabs OBS... Because they all access the keys at low level. So, I've experimented with another alternative (https://github.com/lal12/macroMyKBD), which is lacking the macro feature, that gave me an idea. Perhaps luamacros can use the Zadig (https://zadig.akeo.ie/) drivers for the keyboard. Since that way, the games and other programs won't read the key, only luamacros.

Do you think this is possible?

admin
Site Admin

Re: Using Zadig driver for keyboard

Post by admin » 07 Oct 2020, 08:28

You mean to read the keyboard somehow directly?

In general lumacros has 3 core feature and 2 of them clash with this "low level reading"
1) recognizing key of specific keyboard
2) blocking original key when macro is activated
3) optionally send simulated key press to active application

1) is usually fine, but 2) and 3) may not work if game is reading the keyboard directly.
In what scenario do you think the Zadig driver would help?
Petr Medek
LUAmacros author

DrJester

Post by DrJester » 07 Oct 2020, 18:00

admin wrote:
07 Oct 2020, 08:28
You mean to read the keyboard somehow directly?

In general lumacros has 3 core feature and 2 of them clash with this "low level reading"
1) recognizing key of specific keyboard
2) blocking original key when macro is activated
3) optionally send simulated key press to active application

1) is usually fine, but 2) and 3) may not work if game is reading the keyboard directly.
In what scenario do you think the Zadig driver would help?
When I install zadig, replacing the keyboard driver, none of the sims, and programs recognize the keys. But, "macroMyKBD" does, if I press the programmed key, the command prompt will launch. This is the reason why I thought this might be very useful for luamacros. Since, currently, DCS, Il-2, and other programs are still able to recognize the input on the extra keyboard even running under luamacros. For instance, if I press "P", they will recognize the letter "P", and not the macro I programmed on the key, be it "CTRL+P" or, to simplify, "Left Arrow".

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » 08 Oct 2020, 07:55

Yes, this probably would be possible, by rewriting (or adding) 60% of luamacros code.
Petr Medek
LUAmacros author